Tuesday, July 27, 2010

No better time than the present

Yesterday I "stumbled" across this article and I have to say that although it is very simple and it contains some typographical and sentence structure errors, it is, in my opinion, a very good article.

No better time than the present by Myrtis Smith

Through my studies, I've been introduced to the concept that the "Present is Perfect." The idea is that no mater what is going on in your life right now, this is how it is suppose to be and it is perfect. Everything that has happened in your life up until now has brought you to this moment for a reason. The past is lost; you can't do anything about things that have happened yesterday. The future is completely unknown and the only control you have over tomorrow is the action you take today.



This is a difficult concept for most to grasp. We spend so much time reliving the past and worrying about the future that we don't focus much on the present. We waste away our time dreaming of a different life. What if I had attended another college? What if I had married a different person? What if I had taken that job in another city? Or even worse we spend our lives looking forward to the future, not enjoying the here and now. Parents are a good example of this. I can't wait until the baby comes. I can't wait until he’s walking. I can't wait until he's out of diapers. I can't wait until he's in school all day. I can't wait until he's driving. The next thing you know, your child is going off to college and you're wondering where did all the time go.



I recently had an opportunity to practice this idea on a week long vacation my husband and I took. Everyday, I made a conscious effort to enjoy the moment we were in. I didn't worry about the things I left behind at home and I didn't worry about what I was going to do once I got back home. We even went so far as to not plan what we were going to do day to day. We enjoyed walks along the beach, driving through a strange city, and just sitting by the pool reading. It was the most relaxing vacation I've ever had and it felt like we were gone for a very, very long time. THAT is the power of living in the present.



Here is an exercise for you to try. Periodically through out the day, take a check of what you've been thinking about. How much time do you spend reminiscing (or regretting) about the past?



How much time do you spend planning or worrying about the future? How often do you get totally absorbed in the moment: the here and now? Begin by making an effort to keep your thoughts focused on the present because it truly is perfect.
=======================================

NOTE: The following information must be included if you reprint this article:

© Copyright 2002 All Rights Reserved


Myrtis Smith is the founder of Premeditated Life. At Premeditated Life we have one focus - Your Career. As a career coach I offer a variety of services designed to improve your professional skills, support you in your career goals and transitions, and empower your job search. For a FREE Career Assessment contact us at: coaching@premeditatedlife.com



http://www.premeditatedlife.com .....because life doesn't just happen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger