Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Reality Shows determined to ruin relationships (among other things)

So, I have noticed that some of these reality shows are now motivated by the need to break up couples. Let's take the show Big Brother for instance. In season 11, Jordan was the winner with the help of Jeff; Jeff and Jordan developed a "showmance". Now in season 12, everyone is determined to break up any "shomances" that are developing to avoid them from getting further in the competition. Ok now, let's take the show Bachelor Pad; same thing. These people seem to also know that the developing of relationships will increase couples chances of winning so everyone else in the house is basically voting off one of the couples to break them up; basically destroying "an alliance". It has gotten to the point where couples have had to lie about being together in order to avoid being split up by the rest of the house guests/mates.


Maybe I'm reading too much into this but I see a problem with this. I mean, if I want to get even more "technical" I see a problem with reality shows PERIOD and these people sleeping around but I am not getting into that right now (one thing at a time).

What kind of messages are we sending out ? I mean, now it's a bad thing to be a couple or to be in a relationship ??? So basically in order to further yourself in life or be successful you have to manipulate, lie, and deceit others ...oh and maybe even sleep around ???!!! On Big Brother, people have even fabricated stories about having a sick relative back at home just to get "pity votes". What is that ?????? Like really, is that what we want to teach our children ?: "Lie, cheat and steal ! It's the only way to advance in life ! More drama, more drama, more drama !" Yes, I'm ashamed that I watch these reality shows but I am not going to shelter myself either. I want to know what is going on so that I can teach my children right from wrong. We can only control so much of what our children are exposed to. My 6 year old watches the Disney Channel. Why does he ask me the other day: "Mommy, what does it mean when a woman's water breaks and she has a baby ??" ?! I wanted to hide under the table. I was not so much shocked at the question but rather I was concerned about where he obtained this information from. Sure enough, he saw and heard this on the Disney Channel. I couldn't believe it. I did explain to him what it meant when a woman's water breaks in terminology that a six year old would understand. However, it is an example of what television exposes children to. We need to be make sure that we are educating our children correctly so that when they come across any garbage on television (or in real life), they know fact from fiction and real life from "REALITY TV".

I think that we need to also remind our children the importance of healthy relationships, the sanctity of marriage, dignity and succeeding by working hard. True success cannot be obtained by taking the short cut. We have to work hard and establish a firm foundation that will sustain any kind of strong force that attempts to crumble our morals and values. By nurturing our children and providing them with knowledge and guidance that they need to be healthy, proper functioning individuals, we are basically laying the foundations brick by brick and hopefully this will remain with them well into adulthood.

by: Xela

"Do you wish to be great? Then begin by being. Do you desire to construct a vast and lofty fabric? Think first about the foundations of humility. The higher your structure is to be, the deeper must be its foundation." ~
(Saint Augustine)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger